April 8, 2011

Have you had a Roger Moore?

At a local restaurant near my school, if I want a quick snack, I ask for a Roger Moore (it's actually pronounced Rogah-Moh).  This is like a filled pita bread with pork.

Other days I eat pork and noodles from the 24 hour place downstairs from my building or I order food at the school: either Chow Mein (fried noodles) or Cha shoaw (bbq pork and rice).  The names are my phonetic interpretations, rather than the proper pinyin spelling!

After work we often have sushi.  There are many places near the school though I've only visited 2 so far.  One of them plays Tom & Jerry cartoons continuously, to the extent that if you sit at sushi belt you have a little TV in front of you so it doesn't really allow for much conversation.  The other place seems a little more upmarket (looking at the clientele) and is always very busy.  Last time I was there we decided to try things we'd not tried before as there are so many interesting colours on the belt, such as mango with foie gras.  Later we found a menu telling us what they all were and we found that we'd eaten dolphin!  We were a little freaked out by this.

On the street where I live there are many places that make BBQ food out on the street.  We had some wondeful fish and grilled aubergine there.



There's a street behind the school that has row upon row of restaurants.  Here we usually have a 'hot pot' lunch.  This is rice with vegetables, pork and potato.  It also comes with beef or chicken.  Unfortunately when they make the chicken they just chop through the bones so you end of trying to eat around bones most of the time.


Other foods around that I'm not keen to try include chicken feet and dog meat...  Fortunately the meat counter at one of the supermarket has pictures of the animal so I can't get confused.  There are lots of pickled foods that the Chinese seem to like.


We have 4 local teachers working with us, one of whom is from the north (near Beijing) where the food is slightly different from Nanning.  She came to my house and showed me how to make dumplings.  We made beef and coriander dumplings and they were delicious!  It was a lot of work but worth doing, I feel, as they are so tasty.



This weekend we had a public holiday, known as 'Sweep the Tomb' day when people visit the graves of their relatives.  As this is one of the few days that all the teachers had the same day off, we decided to get together and have a barbeque at one of the local parks.
There are many more 'culinary' expiences that I'm bound to have but for now this gives a rough idea.

1 comment:

  1. I am getting a good appetite seeing all these nice dishes
    Dad

    ReplyDelete